Wednesday, February 7, 2018

The Rules for Watching Pyeonchang 2018

As the countdown to the competition for the 2018 Winter Olympics reaches 2 days, and the countdown to the Opening Ceremonies reaches 3 days, we really need to get ready.  As a first step, I once again give you my rules/guidelines for watching the Olympics.  This is the most important blog post, so read carefully.

In 2016, I gave you my rules/guidelines for watching the Summer Olympics in Rio.  These were well thought out and clearly the best advice you could have possibly read for watching the Summer Olympic games.  I mentioned in that post that I could have simply cut and paste my well thought out and basically unbeatable rules/guidelines for watching the Olympics in 2012.  I chose not to, because watching the Olympics is an evolving experience.  I assume in 20 years the Olympics will be in virtual reality and we will watch through the perspective of the athletes.  Too bad Shawn White will (probably) have retired by then so we can't see his performance in virtual reality.  However, for Pyeonchang 2018, we need to update the rules not only because watching the Olympics is an evolving experience, but also because watching the Winter Olympics and watching the Summer Olympics are not the same.

So, I give you the rules/guidelines for watching the 2018 Winter Olympics:

1.  No sex - you didn't think this rule would change, did you?  I received a little push back about this rule in 2016.  The main objection was a claim that one could both engage in sexual activity and watch the Olympics at the same time.  While I suppose this is technically correct, it is unfair to both your partner and to the Olympics.  In a way, it feels like cheating.  And it feels like cheating on two different loves (or lusts, or whatever you want to call that person you are with.)  So I say "no".  No sex.  Do what you can tonight.  It is acceptable to get a quickie in after the Opening Ceremonies.  But starting Saturday morning this is an abstinence only zone.  If you have the time or energy to have sex, you just aren't trying.  And the Olympics are about giving your all.

2.  Check the schedule - Unlike the summer Olympics, NBC is not using 137 channels to show you 17,324 hours of programming.  There appear to be only four channels:  NBC, NBCSN, USA and CNBC.  If you don't have The Olympic Channel, and you haven't corrected this oversight, yet, I'm pretty sure we can't be friends.  However, you won't miss much, because all it appears to be showing is Olympic News.  The key for the Winter Olympics is to make sure you aren't accidentally re-watching things, like figure skating.  NBC likes to show figure skating in the afternoon, and then again in the evening.  I accidentally did that four years ago and I have only recently recovered from the shame. 

3.  Pray for snow - Not in South Korea, but here, or where ever you are.  The Winter Olympics are not as dense as the Summer Games, meaning you don't "have" to invest as much time to get a solid experience.  I don't understand why anyone wouldn't want to invest all the time they have, but I am told I should accept people for who they are, even with their obvious and extreme faults.  However, the Winter Games come at a more difficult time.  It is not August, with no school, no kid sports, no kid activities and the lazy days of the end of summer.  We are in the middle of everything - kid sports, kid activities, work, school and a bunch of really hard workouts from Rich Williams.  We need snow.  A ton of snow.  I mean, like, 26 inches, starting at 10 am Monday, shutting the city down for 4 solid days.  The weather report is not looking good, but I am ever hopeful.

4.  Stay warm - Luckily for the integrity of the sports that require outdoor ice and snow, it is freakin' cold in Pyeonchang right now.  Like 12.  Unluckily for me, I am in Chantilly, VA and not Pyeonchang.  I will make the most of my unfortunate predicament, though and sit here, in a heated house, with a blanket on my legs and probably a cat in my lap, as I enjoy the Winter Olympics in warmth.  Unless you are lucky enough to be at the Games, well, I just don't like you because you didn't take me with you.  If not, I recommend the warm thing, but without the cat.  He's just annoying.

5.  Get Inspired - I recommend watching Cool Runnings.  John Candy's speech to the Bobsledding Alliance gets me...every...sniff... time.

6.  Laugh - I enjoy watching the best athletes in the world accomplish amazing feats.  That said, ice and snow are slippery and unpredictable.  People fall.  Sometimes they get hurt.  That's not funny.  Sometimes, they just fall.  That's a little funny.  Sometimes, they fall in spectacular fashion.  And that can be very funny.  I'm not saying go out of your way to laugh at people.  I'm just saying if 15 people crash at the same point on a cross country skiing race, it's OK to have a little chuckle.

6.  Enjoy - The Winter Olympics gives us the chance to watch things we almost never see.  So take advantage of it.  If you are really into these sports, there are opportunities in non-Olympic years, but no one really watches biathlon.  I love biathlon and I never watch it outside the Olympics.  I enjoy curling, and, yeah, not watching that in 2019.  But for the next 2 weeks...I'm into everything.  Except the sex.  That really is a no no.  See Rule #1.

7.  Come back.  I have been basically off since Rio ended.  But the Olympics always inspires me to write and watch.  It will be tough with the addition of 4:30 am practice for Eldest, and a driving desire to sleep from time to time.  But I am committed to an every other day schedule.  You will get my predictions, random stories, the occasional funny comment and hopefully something to bring you back a day or two later.

So there you have it.  My Rules/Guidelines for Pyeonchang 2018.  The Games start tomorrow with some skiing, some curling and some skating.  Check your DVR, get some sleep and get some sex.  We got a roller coaster ride coming.  We need to be ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment