Sunday, August 21, 2016

You Are Beautiful, Part 2

If you do an internet search for "Most Beautiful Olympic Athletes," you will get more than 3.5 million hits.  I was amazed.  There are more than 3.5 million beautiful Olympic athletes.  I enjoy a beautiful athlete as much as the next guy.  Well, actually more, because as I declared yesterday, I am part of the problem, but I didn't expect to find 3.5 million beautiful Olympic athletes.  I dedicated myself to looking at all of them today, just for you.

After a few hours, I learned that 3.5 million hits doesn't mean there are 3.5 million beautiful Olympic athletes.  It took a while to get over that disappointment.  However, there are 3.5 million sites dedicated to the most beautiful Olympic athletes.  That is awesome.  So, I dedicated myself to looking at all of them today, just for you.

After a few hours, I learned there aren't even 3.5 million sites dedicated to beautiful Olympic athletes.  I have yet to get over that disappointment.  With the Bronze Medal volleyball game over, the Gold Medal basketball game over, and the men's Marathon finished, I don't know what to do with myself.  I mowed the lawn.  The family started preparing for vacation.  However, I was prepared to spend the day looking at beautiful Olympic athletes.  For you.  All for you.  I'm a giver.  I didn't want to mow the lawn.  I didn't want to prepare for vacation.  I wanted to give.

Eventually, I overcame my disappointment at not having the opportunity to research beautiful Olympic athletes all day.  Just in time for my second You Are Beautiful post.

I will give my final thoughts and awards in the next couple of days.  During that time, I will admit that I didn't do as well this year as I did in 2012.  My memory is a little shorter as I reach old age, and I didn't prepare well for this post.  But I will do the best I can.

We came into Rio 2016 with concerns about crime and water quality and preparedness and Russian dopers.  Some of those concerns were realized, at least a little.  Some were not.  We also had our share of ugliness in various forms (cough, cough, Lochte.)  But if we looked, and let it come to us, there was great beauty to be found for the last 17 days.

Beauty comes in many forms.  It comes in two competitors helping each other:




Image result for d'agostino and hamblin


And emotions, after crossing the finish line:



It comes in pairs:





And Teams:



It comes with the first medal of the games:

Image result for virginia thrasher

And the last:



Dominance is beautiful:


 As is history:
 


 And historical dominance:

Image result for michael phelps 2016

Three time gold medalist Kerri Walsh Jennings learned that a Bronze is beautiful:

Image result for kerri walsh jennings 2016

 Evan Jager learned that Silver is, too:




 Even not winning a medal is beautiful:



I saw a lot of beauty in Rio, and not just during the Women's Diving Competition:

Image result for rio beach

 Reflections on What Has Happened (Focus for this will be on US sports and medals, but we will touch on other stuff as time permits) -

1.  Men's Modern Pentathlon coverage was much better than Women's.  That may be more on the sexist theme.  Great race for bronze medal.
2.  Matthew Centrowitz!!!!  Nothing else need be said.
3.  Great comeback for Men's Volleyball.  Glad to see both men and women take the bronze.
4.  Is it just me, or in competitions that end with a tournament is it more exciting to win bronze than silver?  If you make the Gold Medal game, you really lose gold.  You won silver in the last round.
5.  Danish Goalie came up HUGE in OT of Team Handball Semifinals v. Poland.
6.  I still need to see some sailing.
7.  I loved the Marathon course.
8.  US Men's Basketball Team picked a good time to play their best game of the Olympics.
9.  Rhythmic Gymnastics looks fascinating, but isn't an Olympic Sport.

Predictions Sum Up -

1.  No US Medals in Men's Marathon.  WRONG!
2.  Double gold for US in 4 x 400 Relays.  Yup  
3.  Matthew Centrowitz bronze in 1500.  I am a little behind so I already know what happened.  WOOOOOO-HOOOOOO!!!!!!!   WRONG!  And I have never been so happy to be wrong in my life.
 
Predictions -




Sniff, sniff.  I have nothing left to predict.

What to Watch for

1.  Closing Ceremonies.
2.  My final 2016 Olympics Post.  Favorite Moments and awards.
3.  Vacation planning.
4.  The Ryder Cup, Ironman World Championships, football, and lots of other sports.
5.  Random Posts from the Suburban Dad over the next 18 months.
6.  ONLY 529 DAYS UNTIL PYEONGCHANG 2018

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All the Olympic Games in order to improve their performance and hard work of the athletes is beautiful.




    League of Legends Accounts

    ReplyDelete