Sunday, August 14, 2016

Transition Time

We are basically halfway through Rio 2016.  Don't cry.  I know it is sad that this journey is more than halfway complete, but we still have seven days to enjoy.  Even without the swimming.

This weekend has been the transition.  Swimming ended, track and field began.  Rowing is complete (thank, God!), trampoline has started.  Maybe that is not a good thing.  Team sports are coming to the end of the group stages and knockout rounds are starting or have started.  Medals are really starting to flow.  Don't blink or you will find yourself watching the Men's Marathon (yes, I do that and i watched the Women's this morning) wondering how the closing ceremonies snuck up on you.

I must admit, I almost shed a tear this weekend.  Every Olympics, I enjoy the swimming most.  When swimming ends and track and field begins, I convince myself all is OK.  I enjoy track.  I do enjoy track, but the heats are brutal.  Except the 100.  The heats of the 100 are great, because countries that only enter 1 track and field athlete usually enter that athlete in the 100.  These are athletes who have no chance to advance to the semis, much less medal.  They are there simply to run.  I enjoy watching these athletes.  Other than them, heats are brutal.

I don't know why track heats are so brutal.  Maybe it's because NBC forced them on us, on both NBC and NBCSN yesterday.  I watched NBCSN yesterday morning, and some NBC yesterday afternoon.  I saw Usain Bolt's 100 three times.  Three.  Three.  He's good, but he only ran for a little over 10 seconds.  I got the idea the first time.  I don't need to see it again.  I certainly don't need to hear Ato Bolton talk about it three times.  That may be it.  They don't just show the heats.  They talk about them endlessly.  A lot of talking, then 10 seconds of racing.  I like the racing, not the talking.

The good thing is the knockout rounds for team sports.  Except when we lose, like Women's Soccer.  The action gets more exciting for the knockout rounds.  It is also fun in my house, because the Wife gets completely stressed out watching Kerri Walsh-Jennings in an elimination game.  It's fun to watch my normally even tempered, enjoy the stories more than the competition spouse turn into a ruthless, nervous fan, occasionally yelling mean things at people on the TV.  Good times.

We're more than halfway there, but we have a long ways to go.  If you are a triathlete, you know the transition is important.  Don't get caught sleeping.  Or violating Rule #1.

Today's Olympic Story Line - Kim Rhode.  There aren't a lot of people who can say they have done something Michael Phelps has not at the Olympics, but one of them is Kim Rhode.  Rhode became the first athlete to win medals at 6 straight Summer Olympics (yes, we have to specify Summer), by winning the bronze medal in skeet shooting.  This bronze goes with her gold from London, silver from Beijing, gold from Athens, bronze from Sydney and gold from Atlanta.  The time since London has not been easy for Rhode, who has had numerous health problems including gall bladder surgery over the past four years.  Unlike Phelps, Rhode has said she is coming back for Tokyo in 2020 and hoping LA hosts the Olympics in 2024, so she can go for medal numbers 8 and 9.

Reflections on What Has Happened (Focus for this will be on US sports and medals, but we will touch on other stuff as time permits) -


Two days, because I took yesterday off.

1.  A three way tie for silver.  Even when Phelps doesn't win, he does something historic.

2.  Anthony Ervin makes my accomplishments as a Masters swimmer seem small.  Very, very small.  Very, very fun to watch him, though.  And I like to think, as a fan, I am one of his "people."

3.  We are a backstroking family, so we were very excited to see Ryan Murphy break the World Record in the 100 back.  Except for the Wife, who was not amused that he broke Aaron Piersol's record.  I'm not sure she has given up hope of being Aaron Piersol's girlfriend.

4.  I got to see some track cycling this weekend.  Someone needs to let me know how I can become the motorbike driver for the Keirin competition.  I need to make this happen.

5.  Maya DiRado may, in fact, be the perfect human.

6.  I watched some equestrian.  A French woman got thrown from her horse.  This is terrible to say, but equestrian is more fun when at least one person falls off the horse.  The actual competition was impressive and enjoyable, but a fall or two just makes it bettter.  When the French woman fell, the commentator, in perfect Best in Show voice, said, "Oh my goodness, that is a shock."

7.  I need to see some sailing.

8.  The Synchronized Swimming suits are made with the same pattern as the Diving suits.  Almost no butt coverage.

9.  Jeff Henderson won the gold medal in the long jump.  This was the 1000th US gold medal in the history of the Olympics.  Jarrion Lawson was 4th based on his left hand brushing the sand on his last jump.

Predictions Sum Up -

1.  Ledecky wins.  World Record.  Yup. Slam Dunk.
2.  Adrian goes double bronze.  Ervin gets silver.  Flo wins gold.  Yup and WRONG!  GOLD!!!!! for Ervin.
3.  Phelps.  Gold.  No reason to believe he can't or won't do it.  WRONG!  Three way tie for Silver.
4.  Walsh-Jennings/Ross don't lose a set.  Again.  (We are just going to pretend Wednesday didn't happen.)  Yup.


Predictions -





1.  Usain Bolt - Gold.  Like Phelps, when the GOAT is going, you ride him.
2.  LaShawn Merritt - Silver in 400.
3.  Walsh-Jennings/Ross don't lose a set.  Again.
4.  Emma Coburn - Bronze in women's 3000 Steeplechase


What to Watch for:

1.  My love of the women.  Really it is coming.

2.  Does this Blog violate US Trademark laws?
3.  You Are Beautiful, Part 2.
4.  Open Water Swimming - Great competition.  Bad Water.
5.  Pole Vault
6.  Lithuania - Croatia in basketball


I almost finished before Prime Time coverage started.  Elimination race in track cycling cost me.

No comments:

Post a Comment