Friday, February 28, 2014

March Madness Begins

Now that the Olympic Flame in Sochi has been extinguished and the athletic spotlight is no longer focused on the world's greatest winter athletes, I too, must re-direct my spectating attention.  I have not ignored my children for the last two weeks, but I have checked hockey scores while sitting at a youth basketball game.  Last year, I gleefully recounted the final two games of the basketball season as Eldest and Middle each completed an undefeated season.  Neither is undefeated this year, but we have a new wrinkle.  For the first time in my career as a sports parent, we have playoffs.

Our boys play most of their sports in the local youth "house" league.  Last fall, Eldest was selected for the all-star team in soccer, but we have never had the desire to push them into a travel league, even if we believed they were good enough.  Being in a local "house" league up to their current ages means that the results of games are not recorded, records are not kept, playoffs are not played, and champions are not crowned.  In general, this is good.  They get the experience of winning and losing, without the pain of really losing something of value.  This is particularly good for Eldest, who tends to get emotional when games don't go his way.  The "sweet" example of this is that he was crying when his basketball team was losing in the 4th quarter this past weekend.  He wasn't the only one on his team crying.  Ironically, they played a solid 4th quarter and won.  The "scary" example was when he told me he wanted to throw a basketball at the opposing coach's head after a loss.  I like the competitiveness, but need to rein in the violent tendency.

In 4th grade basketball, the league starts to keep the scores of games, team records, standings and playoffs.  Eldest's team finished in a tie for 3rd in the league (out of 22 teams) and lost the tie breaker (points allowed - apparently the CYA punishes the Loyola Marymount of 4th Grade), so they are seeded 4th.  They get a bye to the Round of 16.  The playoffs start for us on Saturday, March 1.  March Madness indeed.

The excitement of a tournament is the day to day advancement.  The stress is the possibility of an abrupt end to the season.  Each win means a new game, any loss a one way ticket home.  At some point in the next 5 days, Eldest will head home after a basketball game with either a championship trophy or tears in his eyes.  I see no scenario giving us a happy medium between these two possibilities.  I imagine several boys from our team in tears if they don't get that trophy.  I've seen it before this season when the stakes were not as drastic.

The interesting question is how Dad handles all of this.  My natural competitiveness makes me one of the more vocal parents during games.  I am very conscious of what I am saying, and (at least as a parent) always keep it positive.  However, the excitement and stress of the tournament will be felt by parents, just as much as players.  To make matters worse, officiating is sketchy at best.  I have no problem with sketchy officiating in a meaningless house league game.  I have no problem with inexperienced officials who may miss things or "swallow the whistle" to let the boys play.  I do have a problem with a referee who calls 3 second violations and tight travelling, but has no idea what a moving screen is or reaching in.  I have held my tongue, but this is the playoffs.

I am looking forward to this sail into unchartered waters.  I want to see how Eldest handles his first foray into meaningful sports competition.  I want to see how I do.  I really want to see how the Wife handles all of this.  She is definitely the softer side of our parenting partnership.  My natural reaction to crying after a loss is "You lost.  It happens.  It'll happen again.  Get over it."  The Wife is somewhat more sympathetic.  She worries about Eldest to the extent that she is leaning towards going to Middles non-playoff game instead of Eldest's playoff game tomorrow.  Leaving me to handle a first round upset loss, should such a tragedy occur.  We will all be there for the second round, though.  And hopefully, the semis and Finals, Monday and Tuesday.

Reflections on What Has Happened

1. William and Mary Men's Swimming in second place after 2 of 4 days in the CAA Swimming and Diving Championship.  Looking for their first title ever.  Go Tribe!!

Predictions Recap

I think I nailed that "darling of the Olympics" call:

02-25-mikaela shiffrin cover

Predictions

I'm taking a break from predictions.

What to Watch For

1.  UVA-Syracuse.  Saturday 4:00 pm.

2.  Oscars - Sunday Night.

3.  CYA 4th Grade Basketball Playoffs.  Full report to come.


Random Fact of the Day

I have done my last Random Fact of the Day for a while.  Again, this is somewhat random and it is a fact.

Fat Old Man Update

I'm still fat and old.  A hip injury has kept me somewhat sidelined for a while, but I got in the pool twice this week.  2850 on Monday, 2750 on Wednesday.  I even looked at Masters swim meets again.  I'm not doing one this spring, but I may consider something in the fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment