Friday, February 14, 2014

All Praise Johnny Weir

If you told me two weeks ago that Johnny Weir would be commentating for the Olympics, I would have predicted disaster.  After all, this is the man who wore a costume that looks like a swan for a skating competition.  I'm not sure why I didn't think Weir would be a good commentator.  Probably because of the diva element.  Johnny Weir is, or at least was, a diva.  He was all about Johnny Weir, and didn't really care what others thought.  He was often about Johnny Weir intentionally in the face of what others thought.  To be a good commentator, you don't have to do things because of what others think, but you do have to take into consideration other people.  As a color commentator, I want someone who will not treat me like an idiot, but who will give me insight into the competition.  I also want someone who understands that he is not the show.  I am watching an athlete, I am not listening to a commentator.  I think this was my main concern.  Could Johnny Weir rein in Johnny Weir?  He certainly didn't do it as a skater.

Yesterday was a snow day (see predictions, below.)  I was home, and when I wasn't shoveling snow, I was watching all day Olympic coverage.  Johnny Weir has teamed with Tara Lipinski and Terry Gannon (play by play) as the daytime skating commentators.  In NBC's effort to overwhelm the viewer with figure skating coverage, they show the skating live in the afternoon, with the daytime team, then show it again in prime time, with the prime time team of Scott Hamilton and Sandra Bezic.  Sometimes they also show it on tape during the late afternoon coverage.  As I have said before, I don't mind figure skating, but this year, they are overdoing it...just a smidge.

The Men's Short Program was yesterday.  I watched several skaters.  I had seen afternoon coverage before, but yesterday was the first time I really got a feel for Johnny Weir as a commentator.  I love Johnny Weir.  I could not have been more wrong.

Johnny is understated.  He is informative.  He has a soothing voice.  He is certianly knowledgeable.  He knows when to shut up.  The only criticism may be that he doesn't talk enough.  He is the best commentator at the Olympics and the biggest surprise of this year's coverage.  I have to say it again.  I love Johnny Weir.

Next to Johnny Wier is Tara Lipinski.  She is also surprisinlgy good.  She's no Johnny Weir, but let's be honest, who is?  Tara and Johnny like to coordinate their outfits.  Sadly for Tara, she loses in this department as well.  This is beside the point, which is afternoon figure skating is as enjoyable as figure skating can be.  Occassionally, Tara makes comments that make me think, "your time's over Tara, it's not about you."  Most of the time, though, I even enjoy Tara.

In the evening, we get Scott and Sandra.  I like Scott Hamilton.  He is knowledgeable, his enthusiasm is genuine and he gives you great fodder for parody.  He's no Johnny Weir, but let's be honest, who is?  I can handle Scott Hamilton.  Sandra Bezic is unbearable.  She is melodramatic.  Her voice is grating.  She offers no helpful analysis.  She gushes.  I wanted to strangle her during the doubles competition when Hamilton was telling the viewers that a pair was going to end with side by side triple lutzes and she yelled the words "side by side triple lutzes" as Hamilton said this.  This demonstrates her misunderstanding of when to shut up.  She isn't even close to Tara Lipinski, who has been doing this for all of about 12 minutes.  Obviously, she's no Johnny Weir, but let's be honest, who is?

Scott Hamilton and Sandra Bezic have been doing Olympic commentating since at least 2002.  I don't know if having two commentating teams is a way of beginning a transition away from Scott and Sandra or was done for some other reason.  I would love to see Johnny Weir as the main guy.  I would really love to see Sandra Bezic put out to pasture.  I hope someone at NBC realizes that they have found a gold mine and keeps Johnny moving towards the main chair.  I hope that same person gives the big boot to Sandra.  Tara can come along for the ride.  Hopefully Scott just wants to retire.  Regardless, all praise Johnny Weir, my new favorite commentator.

Speaking of NBC's coverage, a few other thoughts on the talent:

1.  Matt Lauer has filled in perfectly for Dr. Evil and his demonic eyes.  If I worked for NBC, I would have a lot of fun pointing out to Costas that Lauer is doing great and they bring the Today Show to the Olympics every time and Costas looks pretty expendable right now.  I like Costas and I am not serious about replacing him, but I would certainly be having fun with this.

2.  On that note, Lauer should be asking for a big raise.

3.  Rebecca Lowe, the British woman working in studio in the afternoon, is a pure joy.

4.  Dan Patrick is, and always has been, great.

5.  Dan Jansen is OK.  He is what I expect from most analysts.  Doesn't make me turn the sound off, but doesn't do anything for me either.

6.  Chad Salmela is awesome in biathlon.  This guy can't control himself (usually) and, intentionally or not, often starts screaming into the microphone.  The excitement is infectious.  Sadly, in yesterday's 20K, he was subdued.  Hey Chad, I like Johnny's understated style.  From you, I want crazy.  Drink all of your coffee tomorrow.

7.  Al Trautwig is the epitome of professionalism and always makes me feel like I am watching something I really want to see.  I wish he would go back to the Tour de France.

8.  Rowdy Gaines is awful.  I know swimming isn't in the Winter Olympics, but this needs to be said every chance possible.

Reflections on What Has Happened (Focus for this will be on US sports and medals, but we will touch on other stuff as time permits)

1. Martin Fourcade proved once again that he is the best biathlete in the world by winning the Men's 20K.  I do wonder whether a perfectly groomed 3 days stubble is a required element of the French Biathlon Team's uniform.

2.  Thank God the IOC went along with adding the freestyle events to the Olympics.  Podium sweep for US in Men's Skiing Slope Style, to go along with 2 golds in Snowboard Slope Style and a silver in the Women's Skiing Slope Style.  Bronze medalist, Nick Goepper, is from a small town in Indiana and raised money by doing odd jobs around town, including babysitting.  I imagined him, as a 17 year old freestly skier babysitting my three boys.  Our health insurance premiums would have tripled.  I don't think our house would still be standing, but they would have had a lot of fun.

3.  Both US Curling teams finally have a win.  The Men's team put up two 4 point ends against Germany.  That is unheard of.  Only thing more ridiculous than that would be a 7 point end, but that would never happen...

4.  Hockey started.  The Washington Capitals are doing great, with goals from Ovechkin and John Karlson.

5.  Luge relay was fascinating.  The woman slid down, then had to hit a big target with her hand at which point a gate opened to let the man slide down, then the same for the two man sliders, who hit the target to stop the clock.  Enjoyable to watch.

6.  Why do we suck so bad at speedskating this year?  Short and long.

7.  Nordic Combined was kind of a disappointment.

8.  Nice 1-2 finish for US in Women's Snowboard halfpipe.  I feel bad for Hannah Teter, though.  She is a previous gold medalist and finished 4th this year.  She has joined Matt Damon as basically a garbage man for that.

9.  Really hoping for the best from Jason Brown, 6th after the short program, but less than a point out of 3rd.

Predictions Recap

1. US gets bronze in Men's hockey, gold in Women's. - Pending

2. Ashley Wagner shocks the world with a bronze. - Pending

3. Mikaela Shiffrin becomes the darling of these games. - Pending, but Gracie Gold's performance in the Team competition suggests this may turn out incorrect. Not to mention Kate Hansen.

4. US beats Russia in both total medals and golds. - Pending, but looking good.

5. I will watch more biathlon than anyone else in America. - Pending, but so far, so good.  Enjoyed the Men's 20K.

6. Newfound US dominance in Nordic combined will continue. - WRONG!!!  Apparently they can't figure out the jumping hill.

7. Putin will be on TV more during these Olympics than Kate Middleton was in 2012. And that's a bad thing, because Kate is much more fun to look at, for everyone except my Baltic States Insider. - So far, so good.

8. Vladimir Putin makes a move on Meryl Davis.  We'll never know, but...

9. Yulia Lipnistkaya gets confused for a lost child and almost misses the Women's Short Program. Pending

10. Washington DC comes to a grinding halt on Thursday from snow.  Correct.  But surprisingly for only one day.

11. Middle does not become the 5th of 5 family members to get sick this week. (Yes, that is a hope more than a prediction, but positive energy into the universe.) - Pending

12. Russians win Pairs Figure Skating. Germans get Silver. US finishes 6th.  Correct.  And WRONG!!! (Russians also got silver) and WRONG!!!  (9th)

13. Two medals for US in Women's Snowboard Halfpipe.  Correct

14. 3-1 win over Slovakia in Men's Hockey.  Correct and WRONG!!! (Even I wouldn't have predicted a 7-1 opening win.  That's like predicting a 7 point end in curling.)
 
15. Bjoerndalen fails to get his 12th medal in 20K Biathlon.  Correct

16. Women come through in curling v. Japan.  Correct

Predictions

1.  Ted Ligety gets silver in Super Combined.

2.  US beats Russia in hockey.

3.  Pikus-Pace gets silver in skeleton, Uhlaender bronze.

4.  At least 1 more medal for US in Women's Aerials.

5.  Silver for Mancuso in the Super G

6.  Shani avis continues the US drought in speedskating in 1500.

What to Watch For

1.  More curling.  More hockey.

2.  Women's Cross Country relay.  US could medal.

3.  More curling.  More hockey.

4.  More snow, apparently


Random Fact of the Day

Snow shoveling makes your arms hurt in odd places.

Happy Valentine's Day!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment