Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Olympic Sports?

The first major controversy of the 2012 Olympics was in badminton.  I touched upon this in my August 1, 2012 post.  The day after the controversy, another person in my office was talking about it and I asked the same question I had asked in my post:  Should the transgressors have been kicked out of the Olympics?  The response was quick and loud, "Badminton shouldn't even be in the Olympics!"  I told him we could talk about that another day, but the conversation had been deflated by his, admittedly, quite funny and adament response.  I have promised in a couple of previous posts to give my opinion on what should, and more importantly, should not be in the Olympics.  We have about 5 days left, and once the flame is put out, interest in Olympic news and opinions will dwindle faster than a young woman's resolve to resist Ryan Lochte once he beams that boyish smile.  So now seems like as good a time as any.

We need to make a set of criteria.  First, and most importantly, the Olympics should be the pinnacle of the "sport".  If you ask the athletes whether they would rather win an Olympic gold medal or (blank) and the answer is not an Olympic gold medal, take it out of the Olympics.  As an example, I give you golf, which will return to the Olympics after a long hiatus in 2016.  Would a professional golfer rather win the Olympics or the Masters?  I feel fairly certain all but about three golfers would say the Masters.  SO DON'T PUT GOLF BACK IN THE OLYMPICS!  Sorry.

Second, the "sport" must require some level of athleticism.  Not a great level of athleticism, but some level of athleticism.  Unfortunately, I think this eliminates shooting.  I would argue archery survives.

Third, the "sport" can't be silly.  Bye-bye trampoline, rhythmic gymnastics and synchronized swimming.  I am not saying these "sports" do not involve great athleticism.  Synchro swimmers are in incredible shape.  But any "sport" in which the costume, makeup and hair play an important part in the event should be tossed.

Fourth, I will argue history matters.  If synchro was in Athens in 1896, I would give it a pass.  Archery made its debut in 1900, and has been contested in almost half the Olympics.  That may be enough history.  Some sort of shooting has been in all but two Olympic games, we'll look at that later.

Finally, the "sport" should somehow relate to the Olympic motto:  Citius, Altius Fortius (or Faster, Higher, Stronger).  If this is the motto, your "sport" should at least relate to the words in some way.

(I have been putting "sport" in quotes, because I have a very strict definition of a sport.  This can be discussed at another time.  From here on out, I will stop using the quotation marks, but do not think, even for a second, that I am admitting most of these are sports.  This is OK, though, because they are the Olympic Games, not the Olympic Sports.)

There are 32 sports in the 2012 Olympic Games.  Of these 32 sports, the following 18 are no brainers to keep:  boxing, canoe/kayak, diving, fencing, field hockey, gymnastics, team handball, judo, modern pentathlon, rowing, sailing, swimming, taekwondo, track and field, volleyball, water polo, weightlifting and wrestling.  Keep them in.  (Boxing stays in because it is amateur, so you can't argue that a professional title belt is more desired than a gold medal, because the people participating are not yet competing for a professional title belt.)

There are a few no-brainer cuts:

1.  Basketball - I loved the 1992 Dream Team, and it is great that the US can check off two gold medals every four years, but you ask LeBron James what is more important to him, winning a gold medal or finally getting that NBA title and I think we all know what he would say.  He is my representative sample, so get rid of basketball.

2.  Synchro Swimming, Rhythmic Gymnastics and Trampoline - Synchro started in 1984, Rhythmic Gymnastics started in 1984, Trampoline started in 2000.  Not enough history to overcome the silly factor.

3.  Table Tennis - Ping Pong is not inherently a silly activity, but the fact that it is in the Olympics is silly.  The fact that it is called Table Tennis, in a failed attempt to make it sound like the sport of tennis, instead of Ping Pong, makes it even sillier.  Started in the Olympics in 1988.  Not enough history to overcome the silliness of its presence.

This leaves us with 9 sports to question.  We will go through them quickly:

1.  Archery - I think having to pull back the bowstring, steady it and fire requires a minimum level of athletic ability.  It has history to 1900, but is hurt by a 52 year lay-off.  I don't find it silly.  You can argue that being stronger helps you pull the bowstring more taut (I sound like I know what I'm talking about, don't I) giving you a purer arrow flight.  I give it a yes.

2.  Badminton - It is a little silly.  It became an Olympic sport in 1992, so no real history.  It does require athletic ability.  Fits the motto.  May be the toughest one to decide, so we have to go to a tie-breaker:  Does it help China's medal count while hurting the US medal count?  Yes?  OK, it's out.

3.  Cycling - Track cycling is in, no brainer.  The only question is whether the Olympics are the pinnacle of road racing.  This is not an easy question.  The Tour de France is the pinnacle of the road racing tour sport.  But the Olympics is a one day road race and a time trial.  Road racing debuted in 1896, but took a twenty year hiatus.  So I am leaning yes.  I don't care about BMX.  Take it out.

4.  Equestrian - I want to argue to toss this ridiculousness, but it has history, requires some athletic ability, it isn't completely silly, it fits the motto, and I guess it is the pinnacle, or at least it is arguably the pinnacle.  So, I think it stays, but we need 50+ more guys falling off horses to keep us amused.

5.  Shooting - I struggle with this one.  The history is strong, making up for the utter lack of athleticism necessary to win.  Let's go to the tie-breaker question:  Does it help China's medal count while hurting the US medal count?  No?  (Although it is close.)  OK, keep it.

6.  Soccer - The question is the pinnacle of the sport, which is unquestionably the World Cup.  However, men's soccer is U23, so they save themselves from the chopping block based on that.  Women, I keep in too.  This may be pure rationalization, but I would argue the Olympic gold means as much, if not more, to the players than a World Cup victory.  So keep it.

7.  Tennis - Wimbledon v. Olympic Gold.  Please.  Why didn't I put this in the no-brainer cut category?

8.  Beach Volleyball - In light of the struggles beach volleyball has had the past few years, I have to assume that a gold medal is the pinnacle of the sport.  I say yes, but my Volleyball Insider may give me some info that changes my mind.  Plus, the skimpy bikinis merit acceptance in all its forms.

9.  Triathlon - The pinnacle of the sport is the Ironman World Championship.  But there is a HUGE difference between an Ironman race and an Olympic race.  So for Olympic distance, I am keeping it.

I was hoping to delete more than seven sports, but in the interest of objectivity, I created a standard and applied it.  Subjectively, I would have cut shooting, equestrian, field hockey and sailing, but I am nothing if not a fair man.

Today's Olympic Story Line - Misty May-Treanor.  Tonight, Misty May-Treanor will compete in the gold medal match of the Women's Beach Volleyball competition with her long time partner (and I don't mean that in a lesbian sense), Kerri Walsh Jennings.  After tonight, Misty will retire as a professional beach volleyball player.  Misty and Kerri are the two-time defending gold medalists in Women's Beach Volleyball.  Prior to 2012, they never lost a set in Olympic competition.  After winning their second gold medal in 2008, Misty went on Dancing with the Stars, where she ruptured her achilles tendon.  Kerri had two sons.  Misty had the achilles repaired, but did not intend to play in the 2012 Olympics.  She told Kerri to find another partner, which Kerri did.  However, something told Misty that they had unfinished business, so she came back, and Kerri and Misty have started up again, right where they left off.  Although they did lose one set this year in Olympic play.

My Volleyball Insider calls Misty the best beach volleyball player since Karch Kiraly.  He says the key to her game is ball control.  Particularly on the passes.  He has also talked about her court intelligence.  I have been able to pick up a little of this, but I am still a little too wowed by Kerri's blocks and spikes to fully appreciate what Misty brings to the court.  Or the sand.  But I am learning.  I plan to take advantage of my last opportunity to learn more.  I recommend you do the same.

Reflections on What Has Happened (Focus for this will be on US sports and medals, but we will touch on other stuff as time permits) -

1.  US advances in women's indoor volleyball, beach volleyball, water polo and basketball.  Not bad.

2.  I have seen almost no boxing.  Remember when boxing was huge in the Olympics.

3.  Nice job by Leo Manzano to get the first US medal in the men's 1500m run since Jim Ryun in 1968.

4.  Who would have thought Aly Raisman would be our most decorated gymnast?

5.  Great performance by the Brownlee Brothers (gold and bronze) of Great Britain in the men's triathlon.

6.  US-Australia Women's Water Polo Semifinal match was something.  Australia got a penalty shot with one second left in the match when the US coach called for a time-out without having possession.  (Hello, Chris Webber.)  Australia scored to tie the game and send it to overtime.  US won in OT.

7.  TV coverage is winding down.  You can tell we are on the homestretch of London 2012.

Predictions Wrap Up -

1. US women win both beach volleyball matches. 
Correct - Nice win for Kessy and Ross
2. Lolo doesn't get redemption. Harper wins gold in 100 hurdles.
Correct and WRONG - A sad fourth for Lolo, Pearson of Australia wins gold.  Silver for Harper
3. US Women win Water Polo semis v. Australia.
Correct
4. US Women's Indoor Volleyball wins quarterfinals making it 3 for 3 for US women in volleyball.
Correct
5. NBC tries to ram Synchro Swimming down our throats.
WRONG fairly limited coverage.  Still too much equestrian.

What to Watch for -

1.  Gold Medal Match in Women's Beach Volleyball - US v. US.
2.  US Men's basketball, if you like watching blowouts.
3.  US Men in Water Polo quarters.
4.  More Equestrian.
5.  More Sailing.
6.  Women's 200m - Alyson Felix.
7.  Men's 110 Hurdles.

Predictions -

Just one today

1.  Misty goes out golden.  Kessy gets the silver...and the pink.

Fat Old Man Update -

I had a weird night last night.  I had to pick up two of the boys at their grandparent's and take them home.  We expected a slightly later than normal evening, so I planned to take the evening off.  I even considered violating my Advice for Watching the Olympics #1.  However, after dinner, my wife told me I could go swim.  Then Eldest told me I should swim because I needed to exercise.  This "Fat Old Man" thing was supposed to be tongue in cheek.  Guess not.  2000 meters in the pool last night.

No comments:

Post a Comment