Monday, July 26, 2021

The Queen is Dead...Long Live the Queen!

Before we get to the Predictions recap section, let's just say, I was wrong.  I mean arrogantly wrong.  Here is the exact quote again, "As much as many people want to somehow turn Ariarne Titmus into the favorite in the Women's 400 Free, don't buy it.  Ledecky has something special in store and you are going to see the best ever show again how great she is tonight."  Don't buy it.  Them's some fighting words.  You would have thought my new found humility would have kept me in check.  You would have thought wrong.

So Ledecky's career is done.  It was fun while it lasted.  I enjoyed the 2021 800 free as much as any swimming event that year as I saw a local teenager take down the defending Olympic Champion in her home country.  She had a good run.  Time to move on to other things.

I have seen both the men's and the women's street skateboarding competition.  I am not well versed in skateboarding.  I know Tony Hawk.  Well, I don't know him.  I have heard of Tony Hawk.  And his video game and move into mainstream media.  I knew some skateboarders back in my day.  I was never any good, and if you knew me, you would know that skateboarding doesn't really fit the rest of the picture.  I saw Gleaming the Cube and Lords of Dogtown.  That gives me, honestly, probably anti-cred in the skateboarding world.

Regardless, I went into this with an open mind.  I have some age old prejudices about skateboarders.  Not a negative impression, just a lack of belief that they really care about the Olympics.  What I saw would have put any winter sport to shame.  Fall after fall after fall.  I saw forward falls, backward falls, painful looking falls.  I saw people doing the same thing and falling every time.  Isn't that the definition of insanity?  Maybe try something different.  But they didn't.  It appears I was wrong.  Why keep falling on your ass trying to do something impressive if you don't want to win?  I honestly believe we would have been more entertained, and the competitors would have been a lot happier, if they were just hanging out at some random skate park with no judges, no cameras and could constantly berate each other for every miss.  But they tried.  Faster, Stronger, Higher.  Or maybe just crazier and more dangerous.

Hmmm, I just saw Katie Ledecky is the top seed in two events after prelims this morning.  It appears my hubris knows no limits and she is not done.  I'll go ahead and predict a bunch more gold medals for her and see how that works out for me.

Reflections on What Has Happened (Focus for this will be on US sports and medals, but we will touch on other stuff as time permits) -

1.  The Gold Medal Match in Mixed Doubles Table Tennis between Japan and China was accurately described as "great drama and theater."  If you are going to watch a Table Tennis Match, this is the one to watch.

2.  The US Women continue their runs in several sports, including beach volleyball, water polo and softball.

3.  Speaking of softball, Holy Cardiac Kids!  Coming back from a run down in the bottom of extra innings against Australia, then tying it in the 6th and winning in the 7th against Japan.  The gold medal game is going to be fantastic.

4.  The Mountain Bike Course was beautiful.

5.  3x3 basketball is a welcome addition to the Olympic program.  Lots of action, lots of fun.

6.  Simone Biles is so good that she can have a terrible performance (for her) and is still easily the best gymnast there.

7.  Where have you been all my life Bowe Becker?  And where did that turn come from?  The US Men won the 4x100 free relay behind Caeleb Dressel's start, Zach Apple's great anchor leg, and Bowe freakin' Becker.

8.  I need to watch more sailing.

What to Watch for:

1.  Softball Gold Medal game.

2.  Can South Korea continue the archery sweep?  How crazy is the South Korean dude in the hat?

3.  Women's soccer - big game against Australia at 4 am.  Yes.  4.  Freakin'.  AM.

4.  Ledecky/Titmus II, in he 200 Free.

5.  What can the UVA girls do in the 200 IM?

6.  Does the US Men's Backstroke dominance continue?

7.  Surfing.

Predictions Recap:

1.  As much as many people want to somehow turn Ariarne Titmus into the favorite in the Women's 400 Free, don't buy it.  Ledecky has something special in store and you are going to see the best ever show again how great she is tonight.  Gold for Ledecky.  Uhhh, oops!  Wrong

2.  Adam Peaty gold in 100 Breast (that's easy).  US is shut out of the medals.

3.  Tori Huske - silver in 100 fly.  Wrong - by 9 one hundredths of a second.

4.  The US Men will be lead by an incredible lead off from Caeleb Dressel and win gold in the 4x100 Free Relay.  

Predictions:

1.  US Men's Gymnastics team pulls off a bronze.

2.  Softball GOLD!

3.  Women's Soccer - 3-0 win.

4.  Murphy continues the backstroke streak.

5.  Regan Smith wins gold, but doesn't get her world record back.

6.  Kieran Smith Bronze in 200 Free.

7.  Lily King/Lydia Jacoby 1-2 in 100 Breast.

No comments:

Post a Comment