Saturday, November 28, 2015

Post Holiday Thanks - 2015

Yesterday I spent the morning wandering around Colonial Williamsburg, ate lunch at The Cheese Shop, came back to our cottage for a couple hours of rest, ate dinner, went back to Colonial Williamsburg for a Ghost Tour and returned to our cottage.  After all this, while sitting in a chair with a glass of wine in her hand, The Wife, who crashed hard during our "couple hours of rest" looked at me and said, "Hey, you have to blog today!"  Have to.  I would think the one person who understands that this is a hobby and not a "have to" would be the Wife, but there she was, glass of wine in her hand, 2 hour nap in her back pocket, ordering me to get going.

I can't completely blame her.  For the past 3 years, I have posted a blog on how I hate Thanksgiving.  Each year, the Thanksgiving post has become a little more tongue-in-cheek.  I do actually realize Thanksgiving is not the Devil's Holiday.  Regardless of the trend of my Thanksgiving posts, The Wife doesn't like them.  She doesn't like them for a few reasons, but mainly because she LOVES Thanksgiving and because they aren't about the Boys.  This year, not only did she not like the Thanksgiving post, she didn't get it.  When The Wife doesn't get it, I know I missed the mark.  I guess I wasn't on top of my game Thursday.  Kind of like Tony Romo.  At least I came out of it without a fractured collarbone.

I knew Thursday wasn't my best work.  But this year has been a pretty weak year at the Observations of a Suburban Dad Blog, so I plowed through.  I needed to say something.  I needed to get back in the saddle.  The only two consistent subject I have blogged on are the Olympics and Thanksgiving.  We are in that terrible lull of two and a half years between the Winter Olympics and the Summer Olympics, so I have been a little short.  So it had to be Thanksgiving, whether my best work or not.  Forgive me, I'm on vacation.

Now I give you my annual list of things I am thankful for.  As always, these are in no particular order...really, no particular order.  The first thing on the list this year may be the first thing on the list last year...and the year before, but that's just a coincidence.  Really:

Alex Morgan - Now a World Cup Champion, as well as everything else.

The William and Mary Football Team - for losing last week, giving them a home game this week, instead of a bye.

My Parents - for giving us a week (almost a week) in Williamsburg, getting the family together for Thanksgiving, getting us passes to CW yesterday and, you know, raising me and stuff.

One Direction - for making the Wife feel and act like a teenage girl from time to time, or perhaps even a little more often than that.

The Wife - for finally getting out of bed, 1 hour after everyone else here has finished eating breakfast, and immediately pestering me about blogging.

The Williamsburg Ghost Tour - for giving Eldest a very fun night, Youngest a couple of fun stories and freaking the hell out of Middle.

My Brothers - for coming to Williamsburg for Thanksgiving, playing golf with me and being family .

Cousins - always family no matter what.

Twitter - where to begin?  For this week, I am thankful for Twitter for hashtags.  On Thanksgiving, I devoured the #Iamthankfulfor on Twitter.  I was wildly entertained.  The number of people who are so thankful for One Direction that they have to let people know on Twitter is #hysterical.  Don't they know you should express thanks for One Direction on your blog?  Hashtags are the candy of the social media world.

The Beaver Moon - for providing me endless entertainment on Wednesday and Thursday, and for being quite beautiful.

O4C - for another very busy summer.

Louis Tomlinson - because he's sooooooo cute.

The US Women's Solheim Cup Team - for an epic comeback.

The US President's Cup Team - for not losing.

The US Women's Soccer Team - for winning, in dominant fashion, and getting Abby her World Cup title.  Hey, did you know Jill Ellis went to William and Mary?


Black Friday - this year was a source of entertainment, as Black Friday has turned into a media war of consumerism v. family.  When you spend the day in Colonial Williamsburg on a sunny 70 degree day, in late November, that media war is just fun.  #BlackFriday was also fun yesterday, although a few of those posts were not family friendly.

My 5 loyal readers - you know I love you.

My boys - for being.

The Wife - for everything.

I hope you had a nice Thanksgiving.  And if nothing else, apparently it is now OK to put up Christmas decorations.

No comments:

Post a Comment