Friday, December 25, 2015

Christmas?

When I was a freshman in college, I walked into Springfield Mall at 10:30 am, having not bought one Christmas present.  I had two and a half hour to get gifts for every member of my family, my girlfriend, and a few friends who I regularly gave presents to.  I only had two and a half hour, because every tore in the mall closed at 1 pm.  I am fairly certain I was wearing shorts.  I am also fairly certain it was cold.  Oh, how the times have changed.

A couple of days ago, Youngest declared that he needed to ride his scooter to go get the Wife (known to him as "Mom") a Christmas present.  Youngest is 6, so trecking down Route 50 on a scooter is not a viable plan.  I asked him where he wanted to go, and he told me to Target to get Mom chocolate.  I offered to do it for him, but he said no.  He wanted to go himself.  I offered to take him, and he said that would be acceptable.

The next day, I went to work, stopped at a store or two on my way home, ate dinner and did some wrapping.  The next day, I did the same thing.  The next day was Christmas Eve.  I went to work.  Our office closed early, so I headed home about lunchtime.  I stopped by Giant on my way home.  I got home and ate lunch.  Shortly thereafter, we headed to church for the family Christmas Eve service, where the Boys played the three Wise Men.  Eldest looked very Wise-Man-like with his long, curly hair hanging below some headdress the church provided.

After church, we ate dinner and had a special December 24 dessert surprise, which shall remain our little secret.  The Boys loved the special December 24 dessert surprise, and suggested that it should become a yearly tradition.  I like Christmas traditions, so much that I drafted a Blog post about Christmas traditions in my head.  Sadly, it never found its way onto the computer.  So, I am willing to keep this one a tradition, so long as it remains a secret between me, the Wife, the Boys, O4C and Jimmy Kimmel.

After dinner and a little clean-up, I asked Youngest if he wanted to go get Mom her chocolate.  At 7:15 pm.  On Christmas Eve.  He very excitedly said yes, so we headed out to Target, with Middle who wanted to join us.  We were all wearing shorts.  And t-shirts.  Going Shopping.  At 7:15.  PM.  On Christmas Eve.  The person in line in front of me asked the cashier when the store closed.  He said 10 pm.  Oh, how the times have changed.

I enjoyed the ability to take youngest to Target to get his mother chocolate.  I enjoyed the fact that I didn't have to be particularly prepared to allow him to do it.  I am pleased that I didn't have to give in to his request to scoot down Route 50, floppy blonde hair in the wind, to get his mother some chocolate.  I am not sure, however, how I feel about Target being open until 10 pm on Christmas Eve.  I know some people didn't get off work early.  I know some people have unusual work schedules.  I know some people don't celebrate Christmas.  I understand all of this on an intellectual level.  It still seems wrong to me.  Even though, there I was, at Target, at 7:15 pm, on Christmas Eve.  Apparently, I am part of the problem.

I enjoy warm weather.  I particularly like spring and fall, when the days are mild and the nights are chilly.  I like San Diego weather.  However, notwithstanding the feelings of my family in San Diego, I also believe Christmas is a winter holiday.  It should be cold on Christmas.  The Wife shouldn't walk outside at 10 pm on Christmas Eve and tell me that she feels fine, standing there in a tank top and jeans.  I shouldn't have to allow Eldest to turn the air conditioning on during dinner, because we are all uncomfortable after the oven had been on for the potatoes.  (Yes, that happened.  We gave in and turned on the A/C on Christmas Eve.  And slept with a ceiling fan on.)  I know people live in warm weather climates and celebrate Christmas (I am related to some of them.)  I understand this on an intellectual level.  It still seems wrong to me.  (Sorry, California Earles.  Oh, and all you other people living in warm weather climates or vacationing in warm weather areas this Christmas Day.)

Despite what seems wrong to me, it is Christmas.  I am sitting in my kitchen, listening to Eldest russle around in his room, unable to sleep because of the excitement of Christmas morning.  (We have a 7 am rule in our house, no presents until 7, so he still has an hour to wait.  However, he is allowed to get on his laptop at 6.)  The tree has a plethora of presents under it.  And I do mean a plethora.  I am so happy to be able to use that word.  The stockings are filled and sitting quietly in chairs, waiting for the insanity that will ensue in about an hour.  One cat is sleeping in a place that he will not be able to sleep in just over 60 minutes.

As the Grinch learned, Christmas came.  Even with the warm weather.  Even with the stores staying open until 10 pm.  It came, just the same.  Traditions die and new ones are born.  We don't do everything every year, but we have our traditions.  Tonight, we will have dinner with my parents, my  oldest brother and his wife.  We will think about my middle brother and his family, enjoying a warm Christmas in Texas.  we will think about family enjoying a warm Christmas in Rhode Island, and family enjoying a cooler than they want Christmas in San Diego.  Tomorrow we will go see the in-laws to enjoy what has now been called "second Chritmas."  Christmas came.

It is too warm outside.  The stores were open too late last night.  The A/C is on.  And Christmas came.  Eldest can't sleep.  Middle can't sleep.  The Wife, after making cookies and dinner, and all the wrapping, can.  The cat doesn't know what will hit him in less than an hour.  Christmas came.  Life is Good.

Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment