Thursday, November 26, 2015

Happy Thanksgiving

I hate Thanksgiving.  I think I have mentioned this before on this blog, once or twice.  I am sitting in a lovely cottage in Williamsburg, VA, watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, one of my favorite things to do during the holiday season and I am reminded that I hate Thanksgiving.

In about 2 hours, I will go to a lovely Thanksgiving lunch/dinner/dunch/linner at a tavern in Colonial Williamsburg.  The menu will include prime rib, so I don't have to eat turkey this year.  And I hate Thanksgiving.

Later today, the 3-0 Dallas Romos will play the 10-0 Carolina Panthers in the traditional Dallas Cowboys 4:30 pm Thanksgiving Day game.  Of course, the Dallas Cowboys are 3-7.  They will probably lose, reminding me again that I hate Thanksgiving.

I am in the midst of  5 day mini-vacation in Williamsburg, during which I hope to see an old friend, I may go to a college football playoff game, I get to spend a little time in my old college town, show the boys the old campus (and the new campus - a little bone to you other W&M grads out there), spend some time with family, and relax a little, which is what I am doing this morning.  I still hate Thanksgiving.

At least I am consistent.

As I watch the Parade with the Wife, my boys are in their rooms watching something else.  They used to want to watch the Parade with me...wait a minute.  Middle just came upstairs and asked what channel the Parade is on.  Hmmm...progress?  Maybe they still do want to watch the Parade.  Maybe they just don't want to watch with me.  I hate Thanksgiving.

Yesterday I played golf.  I started very well for me, through 6 holes.  Then I had 3 absolutely blow-up holes (9-7-9), ruining what was a pretty good round up to then.  I had another 9 on the back 9, to finish with about the same score I always get.  I play golf about 5 times/year, but I never get any better.  I just don't understand.  Yesterday was a reminder of that.  I hate Thanksgiving.

The temperature in bright and sunny Williamsburg is supposed to get to 65 degrees today.  After linner/dunch at noon today, we plan to walk around Colonial Williamsburg, which is apparently open today.  It is kind of funny to say that.  How does Colonial Williamsburg close?  Regardless, it should be a lovely day to walk around Colonial Williamsburg.  My mother gave the boys a children's book about Colonial Williamsburg a couple weeks ago, which Middle devoured.  It is always nice when the boys (or even just one of them) gets into something that is not on a TV, a Kindle or a computer.  Middle has several things he wants to see in CW (another bone to you Tribe alums.)  I still hate Thanksgiving.

Tomorrow we are hoping to go to ChristmasTown at Busch Gardens.  We went 3 years ago and everyone had fun.  We rode some rides, had some hot chocolate and enjoyed some lovely Chistmas lights.  I still hate Thanksgiving.

Tomorrow is Black Friday.  That doesn't really mean much to me, because I never go shopping on Black Friday.  Plus, I have already finished almost all of my Christmas shopping for this year.  But there it is, just lingering.  We have commercials, people are going to go shopping and be mean to each other.  I won't be there, but when I wake up at about 7 am tomorrow, I will know that they are there...shopping.  I hate Thanksgiving.  (Speaking of Black Friday, why does everyone complain about the people who have to go to work at some store tonight for pre-Black Friday sales, but no one seems concerned about Matt and Savannah, or the person who will be serving me linner/dunch in Colonial garb at noon today?)

Last night I went to dinner at College Deli in Williamsburg, reminding me of several fond memories from my college days.   The boys enjoyed some pizza and the Wife and I ahd a very nice time with my parent.  College Deli is where I drank my first legal beer at 12:01 am on April 7, 1993.  It was fun to remember dome of the good days, especially those crazy times we had at the Brickhouse Deli (hi, Soupy!)  I hate Thanksgiving.

I would like to complain more, but I have to go shower for linner/dunch with my whole family, including my brother's family who are visiting from Texas. We are all eating dinner together.  The cousins get to spend some time together.  Then we will do the walking through Williamsburg.  Then we will watch the game together.  Then more fun for the weekend.  I hate Thanksgiving.

I do have to go tomorrow.  This was my widely anticipated "Why Thanksgiving is the worst holiday of the year" post.  Tomorrow I will stop being so negative and give you what I am thankful for this year.

Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment