Tuesday, June 15, 2021

Yes, I am Going to Do This Three Days in a Row

 If you asked me five minutes ago, I would have told you it wasn't going to happen.  I have a cold (just a cold, really); I am exhausted, I got in the pool for the first time in a week just a few hours ago, and I don't have anything to give.  However, with 19 minutes to go until the Finals and Semis tonight start, I am watching Katie Ledecky swim the 1500, just a short time after swimming the 200 Free.  If you asked me to swim a 1500 right now I would likely whack you over the head with a cucumber.  (Don't ask, a cucumber just seemed like something accessible that would get the point across, but not do real damage.)  I understand Katie Ledecky is not really human, but a 200/1500 combo is particularly ridiculous.  If she can do that today, I can at least get in a paragraph or two.  Of course, an emergency call from the vet put a pretty big wrench in that plan.

For today, let me just say this is a really hard sport.  I am a little under the weather at this point, I put in one hour in the pool, and I am wrecked.  If you are a swimmer, you already have a healthy respect for what these athletes are doing at Olympic Trials. If you aren't, go jump in a pool and try to do a 400 IM.  If you live, you'll understand.

So, now I am going to relax, recover and enjoy.  I hope you do the same, and tomorrow I'll be back with more.

Predictions results:

Women's 100 Fly - Notwithstanding my whole commentary above, I am sticking with the teenagers, Tori Huske, Claire Curzan - Nailed it. 
Men's 100 Breast - Michael Andrew, Nic Fink - SO CLOSE.  .07 seconds separated 1st from 3rd.
Women's 400 Free - Katie Ledecky, Paige Madden - Nailed it.

Predictions:

Men's 200 Free - Kieran Smith, Zach Apple
Women's 100 Back - Regan Smith, Olivia Smoliga
Men's 100 Back - Ryan Murphy, Shaine Casas
Women's 100 Breaststroke - Lilly King, Lydia Jacoby

What to look forward to:

A better effort from me tomorrow.



No comments:

Post a Comment