Monday, June 27, 2016

And We're Back

Approximately four years ago I sent emails to a select few people who I thought needed to be more informed about the US Olympic Swimming Trials.  I doubt they agreed that they needed to be more informed, but I think they enjoyed the random bits of information and occasional style-stealing emails they received.  From those few emails, this blog emerged.


I was pretty active then.  I wrote just about every day during London 2012 and I thoroughly enjoyed it.  It gave me incentive to watch more Olympic broadcasts and to explore sports I never watched before.  It also made me feel like a writer for a few weeks.


After the 2012 Olympics ended, I continued the blog.  The subject matter was inconsistent, as was the timing of posts.  Sometimes I would write on back to back days; sometimes I would take several months off.  There was no rhyme or reason to it, it just kind of happened as it happened.


In the Winter of 2014, I was back in full force.  Again, the Olympics provided me inspiration and an imaginary deadline.  I wrote just about every day during Sochi 2014 and enjoyed it just as much.   Many of the Winter Olympic sports are more fun to watch than the Summer Olympic sports, because I don't watch them as often.  I am the type of person who loves to watch almost any athletic endeavor, at least for a little while.  That includes Cross-Fit competitions, American Ninja Warrior, football, Olympics, softball, golf, cycling, and even the occasional X Games competition; plus a whole lot more.  If I have the time, and it is on, I will gladly watch people physically challenge themselves, even in some crazy ways.


However, the swimming is really the thing for me.  I love swim meets.  I love summer swim meets, winter swim meets, high school meets, college meets and international meets.  I love watching the 6 year old girl, almost in tears, grab the lane rope 5 times while trying to finish 25 meters of freestyle (and truly demonstrating that freestyle means "free" style), while everyone there cheers her on as much as I love watching Katie Ledecky dominate an international competition.  I love watching 25 heats of the boys 50 fly, just to see boys I don't know, boys I do know, boys I have never heard of and boys who's names I have seen several times in other meet sheets try to do better than they did last time.  I love watching swimming so much I will go to cheer on my teammates in a 2-mile open water swim, when I can't even tell who they are, except Kyle in his bright orange suit.  And I love the Olympic Trials.


I have complained about Rowdy Gaines a few times in this blog, and I will probably do it again.  Today, I am going to praise Rowdy.  Rowdy loves swimming.  He says some things way too much, he sometimes discusses the race he was expecting rather than the race that is occurring, and he has tried to take credit for things he didn't do, but his passion for the sport and the people participating in the races is true.  He also gets a lot right.


Rowdy says the US Olympic Trials has more pressure than the Olympics and I agree.  There are over 100 competitors in just about every event competed at US Olympic Trials.  Two will go to the Olympics.  Two.  And Katie Ledecky will be one of those two for at least three events.  Missy Franklin, Ryan Lochte, Michael Phelps, and a few others are also likely to take more than one spot.  The third place finisher at US Olympic Trials in most events would probably make the finals at the Olympics and have a chance to medal.  But they finished 3rd, so they are going home to watch on TV, just like me.  And it doesn't matter who you are.  Finish top two or you are out, regardless of the name on your sweats, the Olympic Rings tattooed on your body or the number of Olympic medals you have at home.  That is pressure.


Yesterday, Townley Haas missed qualifying in the 400 free by less than half a second, after racing for nearly 4 minutes.  In the next 7 days, several people will miss their dream by less time.  Yesterday, Ryan Lochte, winner of 11 Olympic medals, five gold, finished 3rd in the 400 IM.  Thanks for trying, but not this year Ryan.  Lochte will likely qualify in at least one event, but with every third place finish, the pressure for the next swim gets a little higher.  Lochte is 31 years old.  This is probably his last rodeo.  Townley Haas is young.  He will be swimming other events this year, and will certainly have a chance in 4 years, probably in eight.  But there are no guarantees.  You have to perform and you have to perform now.  Previous swims, World Records, Olympic Championships, ridiculous times swam at an international meet last year or just a few months ago at the NCAA Championships mean nothing.  Do it now, or go home.  Even Katie Ledecky must do it this week.  That is pressure.


In case you didn't know, the US Olympic Swimming Trials started yesterday.  So I am back on.  I have thought about writing about other things, such as the last play, game tying goal scored against Eldest's soccer team in the championship game of an all star soccer tournament a few weeks ago.  They lost in extra time.  I thought about writing about eldest getting a phone.  I thought about Middle's basketball season.  I thought about writing why I haven't written, which has a lot to do with Rich Williams, my decision to be coached as a Masters swimmer, and the ensuing exhaustion and pain.  (Damn you, Rich Williams.)  I thought about the beginning of Kill the Family Tour v.3.  None of this got me to sit in front of a computer and write.  But, Trials?  That did it.  I owe that to my six loyal and dedicated readers.  Hopefully a few others will enjoy my contribution to the next week as well.


A few Random thoughts:


1.  The random connections to me from just yesterday are staggering.  Staggering I tell you.  Six people technically qualified for the Olympics (more on the technical part of this later.)  Of those six, one grew up in the same unheard of town as my wife (Go Chase Kalisz, from Bel Air, Maryland!!) and one grew up in the same little town as my mother (Go Elizabeth Beisel, from Saunderstown, RI!!)  That's 1/3 of Olympians.  I must be good luck.  Well, OK, the women in my life must be good luck.


2.  Two of the eight finalists in the Women's 100 Fly attended the same high school.  One of them is still in high school.  And that is the same high school I attended.  Two of eight.  Go West Potomac!!  Go Cassidy Bayer!!  Go Helen Moffitt!!  See, I am good luck.


3.  Lochte must really be questioning his decision to swim the 400 IM.


4.  Congratulations to the qualifiers from yesterday - Chase Kalisz, Jay Litherland, Connor Jaeger, Conor Dwyer, Maya DiRado and Elizabeth Beisel.


What to Watch For:

1.  Showdown between Kelsi Worrell and Dana Vollmer in 100 Fly, and will either put a scare into Sarah Sjostrom.


2.  Men's 200 Free - Michael Phelps begins his quest again; Lochte tries again, Townley Haas tries to do it in the big pool, the mid distance swimmers come down from the 400, can Jack Conger qualify for the Olympics after never winning an NCAA title.  Relay spots on the line as well.  A lot of story lines in the 200 free.


3.  Katie Ledecky swims.  The world should just stop when this happens so we can all appreciate the most dominant athlete on the planet.  NBC should allow all other networks to do a live look in.  Really, watch and appreciate.  Even if you don't enjoy distance swimming, you must appreciate dominance on this level.


4.  Men's 100 Back - Youth v. Experience.


5.  Missy Franklin, the darling of London 2012.


Predictions:

1.  Women's 100 Fly - Worrell, Vollmer
2.  Men's 100 Breast - Cordes, Prenot
3.  Women's 400 Free - Ledecky and no one else will be on the screen when she touches.
4.  10 x 75 free with paddles is going to hurt tonight.

1 comment: