Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Watch Out Ryan Lochte!!

July 23, 2012.  Mark that date in history.  On July 23, 2012, a small, blonde, tanned, 5 year old boy swam his first ever 25 meter butterfly.  OK, so it was not exactly "legal", but I guarantee that most of you would not have been able to tell me why he was disqualified.  (For the record, he was not disqualified by his father.  His father was watching the other 3 lanes and disqualifying his best friend on the swim team.)  All I can say is that it looked like butterfly.  This is the first step to Olympic glory for that small, blonde, tanned, 5 year old boy.  After the 2028 Olympics, each of you will be able to say that you knew, all the way back on July 23, 2012, that this day would come.  Or that day.  Or however I am supposed to do a future-past grammatical thing.

July 23, 2012.  Mark that date in history.  On July 23, 2012, a not so small, not so blonde, not quite as tanned 8 year old boy continued to watch a once promising summer swim season ease into mediocrity.  His freestyle was mediocre.  His butterfly was mediocre.  His IM was...actually not that bad, but he was disqualified.  By his father.  All I can say was it looked about the same as his last couple of meets.  And this is the final step to my conclusion that he needs a push.  And that push will come from me.  And his mother.  After next summer, each of you will be able to say that you knew, all the way back on July 23, 2012, that I made the right choice.  And I know that grammar is correct.  Although you aren't supposed to start a sentence with "and."

In all seriousness, the Armfield Farm Swim Team completed their dual meet schedule with a B-Meet (non-scored developmental meet) against the cross town Franklin Farm Froggers.  Despite many families already going on vacation, and the AFST already being on the smaller side, the meet lasted for 9 days because Franklin Farm brought a team roughly the size of a small Chinese city.  Middle swam 3 events for the first time, achieving a best time in the freestyle and backstroke, and surviving his first attempt at the butterfly.  Eldest continued to struggle to match his mid-season highs, but is poised for a break-out performance in the Divisional meet on Saturday.  (That's my story and I am sticking to it.)  Regardless of the outcome of Saturday's meet, though, the 2012 Swim Season has been quite enjoyable, and a good time will be had by all at the end of season celebration Saturday night.  A full accounting of the Divisional Meet will be posted Saturday or Sunday.

Now for our (current) regular sections:

Today's Olympic Story Line - Alex Meyer.  Alex Meyer is the lone male swimmer in the 10,000 meter open water swim.  No, that is not a typo.  I once swam 10,000 yards in one practice.  I couldn't lift my arms to wash my hair afterwards.  I hope you found that funny, but I'm not kidding.  The 10,000 meter open water swim is swimming's answer to the marathon.  I swam for the better part of 16 years.  I never felt the need to answer the marathon.  Maybe that is why I never made the Olympics.  Well, that and genetics and arguably an unwillingness to give up my life in pursuit of a goal that only 2 people make every 4 years.  I probably made the right decision.  What?  I am supposed to be talking about Alex Meyer?  You mean this isn't about me?  Oops.

Alex Meyer went to Harvard and was an All-American distance swimmer.  Late in his college career he tried open water swimming and found that he enjoyed it and that he was pretty good.  He also found a best friend named Fran Crippen.  Fran Crippen was a little older and a little better, and became Alex's roommate, mentor and best friend.  The two were poised to both make the Olympics in 2012.  However, tragically, Crippen drowned at a poorly managed open water competition in Dubai in October, 2010.  The conditions were extremely hot and Alex and his coach still harbor anger at the lack of safety precautions and supervision under such circumstances.  In 2011, Alex refused to compete in the 25,000 meter open water World Championships, in which he was the defending champion, because of similar temperature conditions.  Several other top swimmers also boycotted the race.  The race went on anyway.  Luckily, no tragedies unfolded, but the state of open water swimming clearly needs some safety guidelines.

Alex takes a picture of Crippen with him to every race and will be swimming for Crippen in London.  I love swimming, and I love endurance races, but even I can't imagine that a 10,000 meter open water swim is all that interesting to watch.  However, I will be watching this year, rooting for Alex, and thinking of Fran Crippen.  The race is on Friday, August 10 at 7 am.  It will be televised on NBC starting at 12 or 12:15 on August 10, with coverage interspersed with synchronized swimming.  That should keep you glued to the television.

It occurs to me that I am offering fantastic Olympic story lines, but no details on coverage.  So, for you, my 5 readers:

Lolo Jones - Preliminary heats of the Women's 100 meter hurdles are August 6, beginning at 5:05 am EDT; semifinals are August 7 at 2:15 pm; finals are August 7 at 4 pm.  Prelims will be shown on NBC sometime between 10 am and the afternoon.  Finals will be shown on NBC's Prime Time coverage sometime between 8 pm and midnight on August 7.

Guor Marial - The Men's Marathon is August 12, 2012 at 6 am, in its traditional last event of the games slot.  Live TV coverage beginning at 6 am on NBC.  I might actually wake up for that.  But then, I am a sucker for the marathon.  Either that or I am really dumb.

I actually have work to do today, so I will have to cut things short.  Here are your things to look forward to:

1.  The competition begins!!!!  Tomorrow is the opening of competition, if not the opening of the games.  Team USA is in action.  The women's soccer team begins defense of their 2008 and 2004 gold medals with an opening round game against France.  This is a chance for the future subject of an awkward conversation with my wife, Alex Morgan, to shine in her first Olympics.  Hope Solo, recently traded to Chris Makos, will be counted on in goal, while Abby Wambach will continue an incredible career.  This  morning Eldest recalled "that really good girl" talking about Wambach.  I had to explain that she's not exactly a girl.  She's a monster!!  Live coverage on NBC Sports Network beginning at noon on Wednesday.  (I'm sure you all know where to find NBC Sports Network from your devoted watching of the Tour de France and various Ironman Triathlons during the last few years.)

2.  More promises of my predictions.

3.  My predictions.

4.  A local sports update summary from Delaware.  (I'm glad I didn't have to threaten to fire my local correspondent before I got the detailed update.  That would have been awkward.)

5.  My thoughts on the Olympics in general.

6.  More links to almost naked hot athletes.

7.  My Obscure Summer Olympic Sport.

8.  Tomorrow's Olympic Story Line.

No comments:

Post a Comment