Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Summer Update #2

Sometimes I wonder how people do it.

At one point in my life, I was single.  I got married, ending that stage of my life.  The transition from single to married was fairly benign.  I lived with The Wife for a little more than a year before we got married.  Many of my closest friends were already married, and before moving in with The Wife, I was living with three very fine gentlemen, all of whom were at least 3 years younger than me.  After getting married, my social life was fairly similiar to what it had been pre-wedding.

At one point in my life, I was married with no children.   The Wife gave birth to Eldest, ending that stage of my life.  The transition from married with no children to married with child was fairly significant.  Only a few of my closest friends had children when Eldest was born.  Before having children, The Wife and I went out somewhat regularly, ate at restaurants, slept late on weekends, and regularly socialized with other people.  After Eldest was born, our social lives changed rather dramatically.  We rarely went to dinner at restaurants, went out significantly less frequently, and socializing decreased.  Even when we did socialize with others, we had another human being to care for at all times, putting a bit of a damper on our activities.

At one point in my life, I was married with one child.  The Wife gave birth to Middle, ending that stage of my life.  Let's be honest here, at some point, all Hell breaks loose, and we don't need to go through the fine pattern I set forth above.  Two kids changed my life, as did three.

When we had two kids, people with one would ask us how we do it.  The answer I always gave was, "the same way you do one kid, you just do it."  When we had three kids, people with two would ask us how we do it.  The answer I always gave was, "the same way you do two kids, you just do it."  That was back when they were all under 6 years old.  As they have grown and become soccer players and swimmers and basketball players and cub scouts and scholars and independent little creatures, I really am not sure how we do it.  Our schedule, which I will elaborate on at another time, does not fit in a 24 hour day.  I know how to do 3 kids, I do not know how to do 3 active kids.  I realize the answer never changes, "you just do it", but it seems a little more impossible.  And Youngest isn't even in an activity yet.

This past summer was the end of the good ol' days.  Two boys participating in one sport (swimming), at the same time and place.  A babysitter took them to practices.  Meets were at reasonable times and locations.  Youngest was the King of the Team, so no worries about him.  The boys had fun and swam well.  I long for those days.

The summer began as all summers do, with conflicts.  Both boys had other sports practices that conflicted with swim practice.  Unfortunately, this summer also began with something we had not yet experienced in my short career as a swimming parent:  lovely weather.  Lovely weather is great for soccer and baseball, for trips to the park, and for long romantic strolls in the evening.  The park and the strolls don't really matter, but it was nice for soccer and baseball.  Lovely weather is TERRIBLE for outdoor, early season swim practices.  The water is cold and doesn't get warm.  As I like to say about dry, sunny days with highs in the 70s and lows in the low 50s, it is great weather to do anything except get wet.

Generally speaking, I want the summer swim season to begin with unseasonably brutal, hot weather.  Hot weather is not unusual in the mid-Atlantic in late May, but that is not what I am asking for.  I am asking for mid-July, humid as hell, teasing 100 weather.  For 4-5 straight days.  I have a valid reason for this wish.  When Middle spends too much time in cold water (and depending on the water temperature, too much time can be 12 seconds) he tends to turn an unhumanly and slightly frightening shade of purple.  He also shakes like a bobblehead and literally chatters his teeth like a cartoon character.  This summer was cool.  And wet.  Not good for Middle.  Not a good start to the season.

Fortunately, the season went well despite the various shades of purple.  At our team time trials, Middle destroyed all other 6 year olds, foretelling a summer of comparing himself to "8 & Unders" instead of 6 & Unders, because, in his mind, 6 & Unders are not in his class.  He proved himself to be an adequate 8 & Under and a very good 6 & Under throughout the season.  He scored in 2 meets and managed to complete a legal 25 fly on multiple occassions.  He also reached times comparable to those of his brother at age 8, and better than either of his parents could have hoped for.  At the season ending banquet, he won most improved 6 & Under for the second year in a row.  I told him to enjoy these most improved awards, because he will probably not get another one in his life.  He was also rumored to be part of the runner-up Mixed Age (i.e., not in the same swimming age group) Cutest Couple with the 20 year old (and very cute) head coach, who calls him Logey, which he loves.

Eldest took a different path than his brother.   Eldest started the season demonstrating that his winter of swimming was going to pay off by firmly establishing himself as the second best 9-10 boy on the team.  By the end of the season, Eldest had scored more points in one meet as a 9 year old than he did in the entire season as an 8 year old.  He also became the first Earle to win an individual A Meet event in 23 years.  I bragged a little to the family about this accomplishment and was immediately informed by my sister-in-law that my nephew had won an event as an 8 year old.  Of course, I had to check.  Luckily, in the internet age, results for these things can be found quickly and easily.  I am the type of person who will spend the time to check.  I checked.  Eldest is the first Earle to win an individual A Meet event in 23 years.

Last season, Eldest saw some of the swimmers win a "fancy" ribbon for their performance in the Divisional meet.  He said he wanted one of those ribbons.  I told him he had to get top 6 in Divisionals.  This year, he earned two of those ribbons.  He is also a faster butterflier at age 9 than his father was at the same age.  Next summer he wants to make all stars, he has his sights set on some records and he wants one of the big awards.  At this point, nothing will surprise me.  Next summer should be fun.

Youngest established himself as the King of the Swim Team.  He didn't swim.  He just walked around the meets with minions everywhere serving his every need.  Donut - check; hold me - check; entertain me - check; something to drink - check; ignore all others and worship the ground that I walk on - check.  People from age 7-17 were fighting for his attention.  This seemed fun at the time.  Spending the last month trying to get him to realize he is not dictator for life has been less fun.  I fear what he will be like when he is actually a member of the team.

All in all, summer swimming went well.  Last summer I promised a Delaware update and after several weeks, my local correspondent did give me an update.  I had burned myself out with unmatched coverage of the 2012 Olympics, so I never passed it on.  Rather than make promises I can't keep, I will simply say the Delaware crew had a great summer.  Feel free to give me details, which I will enjoy, or correct me if I am wrong.  I feel comfortable I am correct.  Summer swimming is fun, in all its forms.  Any summer spent swimming is great.

More to come, including:

- Thoughts on the Tour de France and cycling in general post Lance;
- Fat Old Man Update;
- Preview of the Ironman World Championships from Kona;
- Fall Schedule - and more on How the (bleep) do you do this?
- Random idioticness?
- Almost naked pictures of attractive people (that's just to get you back, especially my Volleyball Insider.)

No comments:

Post a Comment